|  HOME   |   PROLOGUE   |   FIRST WORD   |   SECOND WORD   |   THIRD WORD   |
|   FOURTH WORD   |   FIFTH WORD   |   SIXTH WORD   |   SEVENTH WORD   |   EPILOGUE   |

Fifth Word

 

“I am thirsty!”


by Ronald Embon Escorpiso
    

“Why do plants have a larger vacuole than animals or humans? ” As a science teacher, this is the most common question I ask my students to ponder whenever we have the topic of cell structure. A vacuole is the storage tank of the cell. Since plants are stationary, they can’t easily replenish themselves with food and water when needed, unlike animals and humans, who can move, hunt, cook, and drink whenever they want to. Moreover, the plants store water (and food) in case of drought or scarcity.

In the human context, what makes our vacuole empty and makes us thirsty? Physical thirst brings us extreme feelings of tiresomeness or exhaustion. This usually happens when we involve ourselves in strenuous activities like doing some sports, non-stop playing, and long-distance running, jogging, and walking. But sometimes just simply staying under the sun makes us thirsty too. Being an online teacher, my most recent experience of being thirsty was when I started having three-hour straight classes from 1PM to 4PM three times a week. My home office, which is not air-conditioned, turns into a burning furnace during this time of the day while I am continuously talking in my consecutive lessons. Indeed, this thirst is very exhausting and throat-soring.

But human thirst is not just limited to the physical state. Thirst can also be a desire. For most, we thirst for rest, financial stability, recognition, peace of mind, comfort, healing and some, justice. In our desire to achieve more, we often try to do more. In my case, I deeply desire to create a significant impact on Philippine education, but I know I must establish myself first, so I pursued my Ph.D. degree. Along with this, I wanted to be a good provider for my family, so I worked abroad and gave my best at my job, so I could be promoted. However, just like plants, we too are hit by our own life’s drought. I got an increased salary the next academic year, but I received more work to the point that I compromised my physical health, and in the absence of my family, my mental health started to weaken. Waking up every single day and doing my first love, which is teaching, seemed to be torture for me at that moment. I even dropped my post-graduate courses to unload my yoke. Then, I decided to go back to the Philippines instead. I went home with an emptied vacuole, much thirstier than ever.

I imagine the journey of Jesus to Mt. Calvary, walking under the scourging hot sun, carrying a very heavy cross, and having just passed the brutal, painful ordeal. Not to mention that people surrounding him hurled insults and mocked him. How could he not be thirsty? He received no sympathy from most people there; he was thirsty yet offered wine vinegar. This thirst that Jesus experienced might not just empty his vacuole but wreck it. It seemed that he had nothing to give. But no, he still offered what he had. “But one of the soldiers pierced his side with a spear, and at once blood and water came out” (John 19:34). Jesus is the fountain of living water—the spring that never runs out and never fails to overflow for us.

As I continued my story of surrendering after arriving back in the Philippines, with nothing, I was depressed, full of doubts and “what ifs,” and with empty pockets. One day, with a heavy heart, I went to the Adoration Chapel and prayed. I cried out to Jesus all the things I was thirsty for – my anxiety, financial instability, and fear of the future. After bursting out, I suddenly grasped a replenishing feeling in my heart and spirit. As I stepped out of the chapel feeling much lighter and it seemed that all my negative baggage was dissolved. Gradually, as days passed, the tables turned. I turned from depressed to impressed. I am astounded by receiving Jesus’ overflowing refill of my vacuole, and as it overflows, I will let it be received by others too.

In your thirst today, come to the source of living water – Jesus. His presence in our lives will not make us dry out, empty, and stagnant, but rather fresh, full, and flowing. Let’s fill up our vacuole today!







Prayer


Heavenly Father, thank you for the gift of the living water, Your Son Jesus. In times when life drains us with challenges, always remind us to dive into the replenishing presence of Jesus. May our encounter with Him in our lives bring satisfaction from our worldly thirst. And in times of abundance, utilize us as your vessels of love, hope, healing, and inspiration. We may learn how to give without worrying about running out dry. May your mercy overflow through us, relieving others’ thirst. Amen.





Ronald Embon Escorpiso is a Science educator for 14 years. A loving husband to Almira, and father to Sky Frances and Dew Francine, he formerly led the Feast Marikina Singles Ministry and Feast San Mateo Engagers Ministry.






|  HOME   |   PROLOGUE   |   FIRST WORD   |   SECOND WORD   |   THIRD WORD   |
|   FOURTH WORD   |   FIFTH WORD   |   SIXTH WORD   |   SEVENTH WORD   |   EPILOGUE   |